Monday, August 15, 2011

by Katy Green

A tour of the America's West by car is priceless, magical and breathtaking.

Shop owner of  www.shoptobegreen.com is on a West Coast exploration for the next three weeks. Her mission aside from relaxation is to find organic eco-friendly products for the Fall season. 

I am happy to share these amazing photos from her trip of America's West with you - our shoptobegreen.com blog readers.  

As a complement to the photos, I included excerpts from Walt Whitman's poetry book Leaves of Grass (1855), The Dancing Seal by Wilfred Wilson Gibson (early 1900's) and There is Another Sky by Emily Dickinson (1800's)

California


I depart as air, I shake my white locks at the runaway sun, I effuse my flesh in eddies, and drift it in lacy jags. I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love, If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles. Page 67. Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman

Please Do Not Disturb the Seals
Do not Pick up Seals

Excerpt from The Dancing Seal by Wilfred Wilson Gibson (early 1900's)When, work all over for the day,


He'd take his fiddle down and play
His merry tunes beside the sea,
Their eyes grew brighter and more bright,
And burned and twinkled merrily:

And as I watched them one still night,
And saw their eager sparkling eyes,
I felt those lively seals would rise
Some shiny night ere he could know,
And dance about him, heel and toe,
Unto the fiddle's headdy tune.


California Garden
  

There is Another Sky, Emily Dickinson (1800's)
There is another sky,

Ever serene and fair,

And there is another sunshine,
Though it be darkness there;

Never mind faded forests, Austin,
Never mind silent fields -

Here is a little forest,
Whose leaf is ever green;


Here is a brighter garden,
Where not a frost has been;

In its unfading flowers
I hear the bright bee hum:

Prithee, my brother,
Into my garden come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. We appreciate your feedback.